Frequently asked questions
How do I create a route?
There are multiple ways to create your perfect route in Footpath:
- Tap the draw button, and trace a map with your finger or Apple Pencil. Footpath will snap to roads and trails. Zoom in and map out your route in multiple segments for the best results.
- Long-press on the map, or tap the draw button and then tap the map. You’ll be able to set a custom start point, or quick-route between points on the map.
- Tap on the start or end point of the route to quickly loop back to the start.
- Turn off snap-to-map if you’d like to create a route where there aren’t any connected roads on the map. Perfect for snow and water sports.
- Tap the draw button, then trace over part of your existing route to realign a section to roads, create a shortcut, or extend a section of the route.
- Tap the draw button, then tap the eraser tool. Erase over your route to remove bad segments, or to shorten the start or end of the route.
What can I do once I’ve created a route?
Once you save your route, you’ll be able to:
- Share the route with friends: they’ll be able to open the route right in their own version of Footpath.
- Share maps and overlay your route line on top of your photos.
- Keep track of your progress along the route, even if you’re offline or in airplane mode.
With Footpath Elite, you’ll be able to:
- Navigate along the route with turn-by-turn audio navigation.
- Organize the route into custom lists.
- View the route on 3D map.
- Export the route to GPS watches and devices.
Does the app work offline?
Yes! The app is designed to work offline, allowing you to navigate your saved routes with turn-by-turn audio and even plan new routes if you’re out of cell service or in airplane mode.
Any maps you view will be temporarily cached in case you lose cell service, or you can upgrade to Footpath Elite to permanently download offline maps for any of your routes.
Some aspects of route planning, such as snap-to-roads, loading elevation profiles, and loading turn cues currently require an internet connection, but you can always disable snap-to-roads to plan a basic route while offline.
Where do you have map coverage?
Our Footpath maps have coverage for the entire world, where roads and trails have been mapped by OpenStreetMap.
See something missing? Learn how to contribute to OpenStreetMap and you’ll be able to get updates within the app on a periodically.
We also have premium topo map coverage for the following countries with an upgrade to Footpath Elite:
- United States (USGS)
- Canada (NRCan)
- France (IGN)
- Switzerland (SwissTopo)
- Spain (IGN)
- New Zealand (LINZ)
What’s included with Footpath Elite?
Footpath Elite offers premium features for adventurous athletes:
- Turn-by-turn navigation on iPhone and Apple Watch
- Unlimited saved routes + route editing
- Premium topographic maps + 3D maps
- Premium map overlays including bike lanes and avalanche slope angle shading
- Offline map downloads
- Organize routes into lists
- Detailed workout analysis
- Export to GPX, FIT, TCX files to other apps and devices
- Export to Apple Health
Footpath is available as a monthly or yearly subscription, or you can buy passes one route at a time.
We offer a 7 day free trial to all of the features in Footpath Elite, and you can cancel the free trial any time before it renews into a subscription.
What happens after my subscription or trial expires?
You will no longer be able to use turn-by-turn navigation, view premium topo maps, download offline maps, export your routes, or access any of the other Elite features.
Any offline maps that you have already downloaded will remain on your device until you remove them.
Any routes you saved during the subscription period will remain unlocked after your subscription expires. This does not apply for the free trial.
How do I cancel my subscription?
You can cancel your subscription that was purchased through iTunes by clicking on this link on your phone and turning off auto-renewal at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
Footpath Elite will continue to remain active until the end of your subscription period, so you can cancel any time before renewal.
Not a fan of subscriptions? You can unlock Footpath Elite on a route-by-route basis for a small fee.
Do you have non-subscription options? What is a “Single Route Pass”?
A Single Route Pass lets you unlock Footpath Elite features, including turn-by-turn navigation, offline map downloads, premium maps, and GPX exports for a single saved route. You can purchase this for as many routes as you need, and these features will remain available for as long ask you keep the saved route.
You can remove and re-download offline maps for your purchased route at any time.
These are perfect if you just need Footpath Elite for that occasional trip.
Do you have an Android app?
Not yet! We are planning to release an Android app later this year.
How do I contact you with questions or suggestions?
We’re here to help at firstname.lastname@example.org.